We all know Skype is awesome. It has blazed a trail in global communication by enabling our calls and messages to flow unhindered across the world. Suffice it to say, skyping is now an important part of our daily lives, and it is almost indispensable when it comes to doing business.
All in all, Skype has done genuinely impressive work. But as of today, our well of compliments has run dry. Now it is time to dwell on one of the main Skype-related annoyances – the app’s persistent desire to remain active in the background on your Windows 10.
If you are going to deal with the issue in question, you might want to ask the following questions:
- Why does Skype keep running as a background process?
- Why would I want to stop Skype from running in the background?
- How can I sign out of Skype?
- How to prevent Skype from starting at boot?
‘Why does Skype keep running as a background process?’
The configuration of Skype forces the app to remain active and run in the background even when not in use. This ensures you are always available to receive incoming calls and messages when your computer is on.
click here to get your pc virus free visit mcafee.com/activate today.
‘Why would I want to stop Skype from running in the background?’
Being always reachable and ready to get in touch with your contacts is a pragmatic approach indeed. So, to be constantly connected to Skype might seem a fundamental necessity for both individuals and businesses. Regrettably, there is another side to the story: Skype is rather heavy on your CPU. Thus, you should not turn a blind eye to Skype running in the background of your PC – the app eats into your resources even when not in use. As a result, your computer may become slow and unresponsive, which is extremely dispiriting. That is why we recommend you to keep Skype active only if you really need it.
‘How can I sign out of Skype?’
Skype keeps you signed in by default, which is quite convenient – you do not have to provide your account details every time you launch the app. But if you find being signed into Skype all the time intolerable due to security concerns, feel free to sign out of the app.
Just follow these simple instructions:
- To sign out of the Skype Preview app:
- Start Menu -> Skype Preview
- Left-click on your profile icon (the bottom left corner) -> Scroll down to the bottom of your account screen -> Sign out
- To sign out of the Skype Desktop app:
- Open your traditional Skype desktop application -> Click the Skype tab (the top-left corner) -> Sign out
- To sign out of Skype for Business:
- Launch Skype for Business -> Click the Show Menu arrow -> File -> Sign out
‘How to prevent Skype from starting at boot?’
If Skype is one of your startup programs, it starts automatically every time you boot your PC.
If you want to prohibit the Skype Desktop app from starting at boot, follow these steps:
- Open your Skype desktop application -> Tools -> Options
- Uncheck Start Skype when I start Windows -> Save
- To prevent Skype Preview from starting automatically, sign out of the app – that will be enough:
- Start Button -> Skype Preview App -> Left-click on your profile icon (the bottom left corner)
- Scroll down to the bottom of your account screen -> Sign out
If you want to stop Skype for Business from starting automatically on your Win 10 PC, do the following:
- Start -> Skype for Business -> Sign in to your Skype for Business account (if you have not signed in yet)
- Search for the Wheel button -> Search for the little Down Arrow button next to it -> Left-click on the Down Arrow button -> Examine the drop-down menu -> Tools -> Options
- Examine the side menu -> Navigate to the Personal tab -> Uncheck Automatically start the app when I log on to Windows -> OK
- Here is another way to stop Skype from being a part of your computer’s boot process:
- Windows logo key + R -> Type msconfig.exe into the Run box -> Enter
- System Configuration -> Go to the Startup tab -> Find the list of Windows Startup applications -> Search for Skype -> Uncheck it -> Apply -> OK
- Restart your computer